Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Greatest Mystery Of All

Paul calls the gospel a mystery. Some versions call it a huge mystery or a great mystery - but the NIV calls it a profound mystery.  Isn't that so true? The gospel makes no sense at all. It does not make sense to nonbelievers any more than it makes sense to believers.  In fact, I think for those of us who are even remotely aware of our sin and have a even a fraction of understanding about God's holiness, the mystery is even more profound.  Why would God long to have a relationship with us? He created everything, He is the beginning and end of everything, He holds the world in His hand - and yet the Bible is so clear about the fact that He longs to know us intimately and He longs for us to know Him intimately.

As a reflection of this mystery that is the gospel, the Christian life is sometimes a mystery. I find it significantly mysterious as to why God would pick me up out of the muck and mire, save me for eternity and then continually bless me.  His plans are also deeply mysterious, they rarely make sense to me but they never disappoint. 

That is where Daniel and I are in our lives right now --- in the midst of living out a mysterious plan but knowing it is exactly where we should be.  As I sit here and type this, Livi is rolling and dancing around so much in my stomach that I can see it through two shirts.  I can poke her and she will poke (kick, punch, elbow, etc.) back.  How is that for mysterious?  Daniel and I both left behind jobs in Florida that we loved to move to North Carolina for school with absolutely no idea of how we were going to survive after savings ran out.  He is currently at training for his new job as a part-time server at On The Border.  Are we grateful for this job and how quickly and easily he got it because of God's provision? Absolutely.  Does it make a lot of sense to me? None at all. It's a mystery.  

This blog is to chronicle all of the mysterious adventures God is taking us on right now to keep us humble and grateful for His blessings and so family and friends can keep up with us when we are not so good at keeping up with the phone.  I hope this can be one way to stay connected regardless of the states between us :)

Love to all,
Daniel and Audrey

No comments:

Post a Comment